US Court of Appeals 4th Circuit Ruling
By now you must have heard about the court ruling on Voter ID and Early Voting. Our local Board of Elections is working hard on revising their schedule and materials. Look for an updated schedule and sample ballots after August 16th.
What has changed:
- Before early voting was shortened we had three early voting sites. Goldston was added to enable them to have the same total number of hours of operation. The new plan may have three or four locations - stay tuned.
- We did not have Sunday voting in the past and it is unlikely the current board will add Sunday voting to the schedule.
- We will have same day registration during early voting, no photo ID requirement, out of precinct provisional ballot voting and pre-registration for those who will be 18 on election day.
- This decision also restores the ability for anyone to challenge a voter (it had been changed to allow only those who livied in the precinct to challenge another voter.)
The North Chatham voting site will be in a temporary building that will be located in Briar Chapel Park (across from Woods Charter School) on Andrews Store Rd. Chatham BOE staff were unable to find anyone willing to rent a location for short period of time needed for the election.
Need to register to vote or change your registration information? Stop by the CCDP Offices in Pittsboro or Siler City or the Board of Elections in Pittsboro.
2016 Election Dates
- Absentee by Mail Begins - Friday, September 9th
- Voter Registration Deadline - Friday, October 14th (if you are voting on Nov. 8th)
- Early Voting Begins - Thursday, October 20th
- Absentee Voting by Mail Ends - Tuesday, November 1st
- Early Voting Ends - Saturday, November 5th
- General Election November 8, 2016