NC’s two public hearings on possible gas fracking in our state (including Chatham, Lee, Durham counties etc.) are coming up two/three weeks from now.
- Tuesday March 20, 6.30-9.30 pm the Wicker Center in Sanford
- Tuesday March 27, 6.30-9.30 pm East Chapel Hill High School auditorium
NC’s Dept of Environment and Natural Resource has released it’s report and technically speaking, that’s what the hearing is on, and you can download it here
It’s not a megafile, only 545 kb and 80 pages but you’ll only need to read around in the first 40 pages.
Comments can be submitted by email and mail but DENR has no details posted re how to do that or what the deadline is, and we need to have a good showing in person.
Background: Rather than just pass a law to allow fracking (currently not allowed under NC law) the legislature approved a study including what new rules would be needed.
Session Law 2011-276 requires DENR, in cooperation with the Department of Commerce, Department of Transportation, Attorney General’s Office and Rural Advancement Foundation International, to conduct a study of the potential development of shale gas in North Carolina and make recommendations regarding the regulatory framework necessary for development of this resource. The study must address:
- oil and gas resources present in the Triassic Basins and in any other areas of the state;
- methods of exploration and production;
- potential impacts on infrastructure and water resources;
- potential environmental impacts;
- potential economic impacts;
- potential social impacts;
- potential oversight and administrative issues associated with a regulatory program;
- consumer protection and legal issues; and
- other pertinent issues.
The study must be presented to the legislature by May 1, 2012.
For more on the revised plan of study, click here
Quote this article on your site
To create link towards this article on your website,
copy and paste the text below in your page.
UPCOMING FRACKING HEARINGS
Sunday, 04 March 2012
NC’s two public hearings on possible gas fracking in our state (including Chatham, Lee, Durham counties etc.) are coming up two/three weeks from...