- Consists of at least 5 active Democrats who reside in the precinct and are elected at the annual precinct meeting held in odd numbered years
- Should reflect the make-up of the active Democrats of the precinct as to gender, age, race, ethnic background and, where practical, geography
- Democratic county and city elected officials and Democratic members of the North Carolina General Assembly residing in the precinct shall be ex- officio, non-voting members of the precinct committee
- Includes Precinct Chair, Vice Chair & Secretary/Treasurer
- Precinct Vice Chair must be opposite gender of the Precinct Chair
- No officers of the precinct committee shall be from the same immediate family residing in the same household
Term of Office
- ·The 2 year term expires on the date of the next precinct meeting held in an odd-numbered year
- Newly elected officers shall take office immediately upon their election.
- Vacancies for Precinct Officers and Committee Members shall be filled within 30 days
- Removals are handled in accordance with Section 10.
Duties of Precinct Officers
Chair The duties of the precinct chair shall include:
- Attend meetings of the county executive committee
- Preside at precinct meetings
- Establish reasonable political goals for the precinct
- Organize and execute a voter organizing plan
- Recommend names of persons to serve as precinct elections officials
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned by the precinct or county executive committees
- Transmit all records pertaining to the office to successor within ten (10) days of vacating office
Vice Chair The duties of the precinct vice chair shall include:
- Preside at precinct meeting in the absence of the chair
- Serve as the publicity chair for the precinct utilizing local newspapers, door-to-door leaflets, etc. to announce political activities and/or accomplishments to voters in the precinct
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned by the county executive committee
- Transmit all records pertaining to the office to successor within ten (10) days of vacating office.
Secretary/Treasurer The duties of the precinct secretary/treasurer shall include:
- Keep all records of the precinct committee
- Issue all meeting notices within the timeframe outlined in this Plan of Organization
- When there is a precinct treasury, maintain it at a chartered financial institution (Seek advice from county party treasurer prior to establishing an account).
- Provide assistance to the county party treasurer in fundraising efforts
- Prepare and file reports as may be required by law and/or by the county executive committee
- Preside at precinct meetings in the absence of the chair and vice chair
- Transmit all records pertaining to the office to successor within ten (10) days of vacating Office